Spotlight on trends – VIVANESS discusses the future of the natural and organic cosmetics sector
The beauty sector is in a state of flux. Market research company Mintel has identified three global beauty and personal care trends for 2024 that will also offer opportunities to the natural and organic cosmetics sector. Meanwhile, VIVANESS is defining trends specifically for the natural and organic cosmetics sector and will put these centre-stage at various events at the trade fair in February 2024.
2023 was a year of profound changes worldwide. Many consumers have been overwhelmed by economic instability, political unrest, and new forms of artificial intelligence. This has resulted in behavioural changes that also affect the consumption of cosmetics and skin care products. In its trend forecast for 2024, market research company Mintel identified three global beauty and personal care trends1, which it calls NeuroGlow, Beaut-AI and Sophisticated Simplicity.
NeuroGlow – the connection between mind and body
The NeuroGlow trend promotes a holistic approach to beauty that links emotional well-being and physical appearance. The use of transparent and verifiable ingredients helps meet the requirements of health-conscious consumers.
Beaut-AI – artificial intelligence in cosmetics
Artificial intelligence (AI) is playing a transformative role in the cosmetics sector. It supports product development and inclusivity, and when combined with biotechnology offers opportunities for natural and organic cosmetic brands. Detailed skin type analyses can address specific needs and facilitate the manufacture of personalised cosmetics.
Sophisticated Simplicity – effective, high-quality products
Mintel has determined that consumers are attaching increasing importance to the quality of ingredients and the proven effectiveness of products. This is good news for natural and organic cosmetic brands, says Mintel’s Susanne Krenz: “The use of natural ingredients is associated with an increased sense of security and a gentler impact on skin and hair.” The next step is the premiumisation of products.
Personalisation of products and beauty routines
The three global cosmetic trends identified by Mintel all focus on the personalisation of products and skincare routines. “In the natural and organic cosmetic segment, the concept of personalisation tends to be a niche phenomenon,” says Krenz, summing up. Nevertheless, the Mintel report confirms that the natural and organic cosmetic sector will be able to capitalise on this in future, as environmentally conscious consumers will support companies that use eco-friendly practices and embrace ethical sourcing
The latest trends in natural and organic cosmetics at VIVANESS 2024
VIVANESS is focusing on trends specific to natural and organic cosmetics and will define both sector and product trends. This year, these trends are being announced in the run-up to the fair. The international VIVANESS Congress in February 2024 will also discuss the issues affecting the future of the natural and organic cosmetics sector, which will then be explored in more depth in the two accompanying interactive workshops on each day of the event. The congress programme designed by industry players is available online here. The following congress sessions will explore trends in natural and organic cosmetics:
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C (10:00 – 10:45) | Mood-boosting natural fragrances: the emotional effects of fragrances in cosmetic products (Fraunhofer Institute: Dr Doris Schicker, Dr Brid Karacan)
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C (11:15 – 12:15) | Natural Cosmetics Sector Monitor 2023 – facts, figures and current developments; (THE NEW: Mirja Eckert, Circana GmbH: Meike Sommer)
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C (15:15 – 16:00) Creator economy and branding (THE NEW: Mirja Eckert)
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C (10:00– 10:45) | Global beauty and personal care trends (Mintel: Susanne Krenz)
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C (12:15 – 13:00) | Consumer behaviour on the global cosmetics market (Euromonitor: Magda Starula)
- VIVANESS Congress Hall 3C | 15.02.24 | 13:30 – 14:30 | Natural cosmetics in turbulent times – what does the future look like?
(naturkosmetikkonzepte: Elfriede Dambacher, WALA Heilmittel GmbH: Meera Ullal, IFH Köln GmbH: Dr Susanne Eichholz-Klein, Brommenschenkel GmbH: Lisa Brommenschenkel)
- VIVANESS Workshop Area (17:00 – 17:45) | GENERATIONS on the INTERNET. How baby boomers, X, Y, Z and Alpha search for products (ideas, inspiration and discussion)
(Kampagnenreiter GmbH: Beatrice Köhler)
A guided tour of the fair also focuses on the latest trends in the natural and organic cosmetics industry.
- VIVANESS trend presentation and tour on Wednesday 14 February at 13:00, departing from the VIVANESS Novelty Stand
 MINTEL Group Ltd (2023): Global Beauty and Personal Care Trends 2024. What’s new and next in consumer behaviour and its impact on marketing and innovation. www.mintel.com/de/insights/downloads/globale-kosmetiktrends/