Awarded with the RED DOT DESIGN AWARD for packaging design: The Dr. Reckhaus Fly Trap
Dr. Reckhaus products stand for insect repellent in the interior with highest ecological demands: reducing or avoiding biocide use, and, if necessecary, only with compensation. The quality mark INSECT RESPECT® offers a solution for compensating the consequences of the use of biocidal products. The Dr. Reckhaus fly trap is the world's first product with the INSECT RESPECT® label and compensates the loss of insects before the use of the products by the consumers.
The design and packaging raises awareness of the value of insects. For all products of the brand "Dr. Reckhaus" applies:
- control neutral: a compensation has been realized in advance, by the installation of an insect friendly habitat (patented, INSECT RESPECT® quality mark)
- Renouncement of insecticidal active ingredients
- The Dr. Reckhaus fly trap is made from renewable resources (Arboblend - inter alia liquid timber from wood residues), either biodegradable or incinerated CO2-neutral after use.
- All materials are purchased in Germany
- Products are manufactured in Bielefeld
The Dr. Reckhaus fly trap consists of a disc, a vacuum cup for mounting on windows and films for catching the insects. It fights flies, mosquitoes and fruit flies on the window, discretely by the cover disc. Due to its adhesive effect, the product is 100 % free of insecticide.
The product has a two-stage package in order to clarify both ecological aspects as well as the control aspect for the consumer:
- Orange: indicates the effectiveness of the product (color signal at the POS)
- White / green: respect for insects (control neutral)
The combination of effectiveness and insect repellent can also be found in the slogan "large effect with great respect". Each product shows by means of a photograph, the actual compensation of the individual product and provides information about the value of insects. On the website www.insect-respect.org consumers find, inter alia, an animated film produced by the company Reckhaus about the value of insects, free services for insect determination and more than 100 insect fact sheets for more information.
Background on the sustainability of the product (life cycle, materials, human factor):
- Product development is guided by the management and CEO
- 100% compliance with all relevant statutory requirements (law on chemicals, biocides law)
- Commitment to Responsible Care initiative of the German Chemical Industry Association
- Orientation to neutral control: catch insects, but then lead back again / compensate
- No use of insecticides: Dr. Reckhaus represents more insect consciousness and thus stands for the reduction of insect loss
- No water-polluting substances
- Film of the fly trap burns environmentally neutral according to written manufacturer's instructions; produced in Switzerland
- Comprehensive efforts, in addition to neutral product application, to allow neutral production. The production is carried out with 100% green electricity.
- As small as possible
- Materials from Germany and Switzerland
- Recycling-based and / or FSC-certified
- No aggressive paint
- No aluminum
- Renunciation of plastic bags
- Production in Bielefeld
- Creation of Compensation areas in cooperation with social institutions
- No carcinogenic substances, insecticides, palm oil
The Dr. Reckhaus fly trap carries as the first product the label INSECT RESPECT®, making it the world's first control neutral biocide. For the product brand "Dr. Reckhaus®”, the company Reckhaus operates the first insect compensation areas in the world in Bielefeld (D) and Gais (CH).