Demeter is the only ecological association that has built up a network of individual certification organisations world-wide. In 1997 Demeter-International was founded for closer co-operation in the legal, economic and spiritual spheres. Presently Demeter International has 18 members and 5 guest-members from Europe, America, Africa and New Zealand. Thus Demeter-International represents ca. 5.000 Demeter farms, with over 180.000 hectares in more than 54 countries.
Demeter-International e. V. is a non-profit organisation and its member organisations work together in the spirit of an international confederation with democratic principles. Membership requires a functioning Demeter certification programme. Associations which support the objectives of Demeter-International can be elected as associated members. Its basis is the Biodynamic agriculture method, originated by Rudolf Steiner in his “Agriculture Course” given in Koberwitz in 1924, and developed further in practice and research.
The main tasks of Demeter-International are
- Development and approval of International Demeter Standards for production and processing as minimum requirements for the world-wide trade of Demeter products,
- International registration and protection of the Demeter trademark,
- Certification of single farms/operations in countries without their own Demeter organisation,
- Harmonisation of Demeter certification program: world-wide,
- Commitment to advancing the public understanding and acceptance of the Biodynamic method in relevant international institutions,
- Support for the establishment of autonomous Biodynamic associations and Demeter organisations where none exist.
The members assembly is the highest body and meets once a year, as a rule in June in various countries. It elects the board of directors and the working groups with people from different countries.