AquAgri Processing Private Limited has developed new innovative technologies to cultivate and harvest natural seaweeds in a sustainable manner. Seaweed farming offers not only interesting product possibilities in a variety of industries such as plant nutrition, food processing and animal feeding. Seaweed cultivation also has benefits from a sustainability perspective:
- Seaweed do not need fertilizer for impressive growth rates.
- They grow without pesticides.
- They do not compete with land area for other agricultural products.
- Algae absorb nutrients, such as nitrogen and may even counteract over-fertilization of the oceans.
- They can be cultivated by men and women alike and can therefore support equality.
- They can improve the livelihood of fisher families in remote areas.
The company is driven to constantly find innovative solutions that improve the livelihood opportunities of seaweed farmers. It also intends to have a positive impact on the environment and to enhance the lives of seaweed communities in the South of India and in Sri Lanka. The cultivated and processed sea plants are used to produce value-added products for plants nutrition, food processing (especially Kappa – Carrageenan) and animal feedings, for example in fish farms and as a complete source of bio-available minerals and trace minerals as well as vitamins and amino acids.