How it all started
The company started by accident in 1996 when these two friends pooled resources to buy a small ruin by the sea as an escape from the stress of their professional lives. But to restore the property legally, they had to acquire several additional adjoining parcels of land, all of which had olive trees growing. Which were the start of the ‘AVLAKI GROVES’ oil.
‘AGATHERÍ GROVES’ came later because the fields were too beautiful not to buy: ancient fields, long left uncultivated and at 600 metres above sea level with a view which stretches for ever.
As they started to produce olives and olive oil, Deborah and Natalie were horrified by what they observed of local farming practice: fields poisoned by chemicals, trees wrecked by aggressive harvesting, newly harvested olives dumped and crushed into massive sacks and processed in insanitary mills.
So AVLAKI immediately and took control of every aspect of production: the olives harvested by hand, blemished fruit removed before being taken to the clean mill in shallow crates to avoid bruising. AVLAKI also converted to strict organic farming: now the fields bloom with all kinds of wild flowers and teem with wildlife in the many bushes and trees that are left for cover.
About Our Oils
- Organic, Extra Virgin, Unfiltered and from single terrains.
- Bottled fresh from milling the fruit.
- The olives picked only in December when at their optimum for taste, milled within 24 hours, the oils bottled unfiltered within weeks.
- Verified 'Extra Virgin' with extensive chemical and organoleptic testing by an International Olive Oil Council accredited laboratory.
- Product of organic farming on Lesvos Island, Greece.
- Bottled in the UK.
- AVLAKI is a British company.
“We keep the olive in the olive oil”