Founded in 1994, Biolait is a group of French farmers producing organic cow milk (1200 farms located all over France). In 2016, the members of Biolait produced 172 million liters milk, which represented about 30% of the French organic milk. We are very confident that our recent development and help to converting conventional farmers to organic farmers should contribute to keep up with this figure.
We don’t process the milk ourselves: we collect it and deliver it “à la carte” to many processors throughout Europe, adapting to their operating constraints in order to achieve optimal profitability of production facilities. Delivered quantities range from only 5000 liters per week up to over 10 trucks on the same day. In 2004, an HACCP procedure (milk quality monitoring) was established on milk collection. Biolait guarantee full traceability.
In 2014, a Quality Charter was implemented for better traceability and top quality. 8 agricultural advisors provide a technical support to the farms in order to enhance this charter. Here are its main key points:
- Milk quality: We participate in a research project about the nutritional quality of the organic milk (omega 3 / omega 6 ratio, proteins digestibility, A2 milk…).
- Self-sufficiency on the farms: including our recent decision to ban any imported animal feed. Moreover, we fully encourage the pasture (grazing), which can reach, on some specific parts of France up to 11 months a year.
- Animal welfare: our goal is to maximise the sanitary quality of the herd while encouraging the organic way of treating the animals. This implies a drastic reduction of the use of antibiotics and the development of alternative ways: aromatherapy, use of essential oils …
- Environnement: improving the CO2 balance, the recycling of plastics…
Biolait aims at ensuring a stable price to the farmers thanks to long-term contracts of 5 to 7 years. Furthermore, we have a principle of solidarity implying that every farmer receive the same milk price, whatever his region or his milk volume is.
Besides organic raw milk (truckloads) and thanks to industrial partners, we also provide:
- Organic cream (truckloads)
- Organic Skimmed Milk (truckloads)
- Organic Skimmed Milk Powder (1-ton-Big-Bags)
A mix of Quality, Traceability, Flexibility, Reliability and Solidarity is what drives our every day mission: Organics everywhere and for everyone !